We got the chance this week to catch up with David Deep, Founder of Wake For Warriors, to see what kind of plans he has in the works for the upcoming summer season. If you don’t already know, David and his amazing team take veterans out for a day on the water with their friends and family to relieve stress and create lifelong memories. With events planned all year long, we at Nautique couldn’t be prouder to help support Wake For Warriors and give back to these heroes.
What exactly is Wake For Warriors?
Wake For Warriors is a non-for-profit organization that hosts multi-day watersports camps in several locations across the USA. Our mission is to connect with injured military veterans by sharing our passion for all things wake.
What has been the goal of the program since you started it?
Our goal has been to provide an opportunity for these riders to get on the water after experiencing life-changing injuries. Many of our veterans are learning to wakeboard or surf for the first time ever. Often they are a little apprehensive at first but that doesn’t last long. What motivated us to start Wake For Warriors was the special feeling that they get when riding behind the boat. In the wake, they find a challenge to self, a sense of accomplishment, and a peace that is hard to find in other parts of their lives.
Has that vision or mission changed at all after you began putting on events?
It has. Initially, we were more focused on the mechanics of getting people up and riding and making sure everyone had a good time on the water. However, our mission has evolved into building relationships that last beyond the 3-day event. While we still have a great time at our events, we’ve found that building community and being involved in other parts of our riders’ lives is of greater importance.
What are your plans for 2018?
Right now we have 14 events planned for 2018. We will also be attending the Masters at Callaway Gardens and a few other Nautique-sponsored events. Our events list and details are on our website (wakeforwarriors.org)
Which pro athletes will be in attendance?
We are extremely fortunate to have Jodi Grassman, Drew Danielo, Shawn Watson, Danny Harf and Austin Keen as part of the Wake For Warriors family. We’re hoping to get Mike Dowdy, J.D. Webb and Shaun Murray out to some of our events this year. It’s been really awesome to see these pro athletes show up at our events and jump right in. They not only share their expertise but they’re also great people to hang out with for a few days.
What boats will you have?
The Wake For Warriors team has a Super Air Nautique 230 . Thanks to our partnership with Nautique, we are excited to be adding a Super Air Nautique G23 this year. We will also be partnering with several Nautique dealers across the country to coordinate volunteers and provide boats for our events.
What have been some of the most memorable moments so far?
There have been so many great memories over the years that it’s hard to pick out a few. The Minnesota Wakesurf Championship when Doug (with some encouragement from Drew Danielo ) hit his first transfer during his competition run. Everyone in the boat and on shore went crazy. Tony (our first double amputee participant) riding wakeboard doubles with Shawn Watson was really cool to watch. The expression on the face of Julio the first time he got up on a surfboard after an entire day of falling. Seeing Stefan nail a 360 and then watching him surf standing up on his brand new prosthetics a few months later. When Matt presented me with his Purple Heart medal and thanked me for helping him feel normal again.
Any future plans or ways you want to grow Wake For Warriors in the future?
We are looking for ways to expand without compromising the family atmosphere at our events. We talk about having a facility that we could run our camps out of but no one has hit the lottery yet. We are also opening up slots to non-veterans when we have capacity.
How could someone get involved or donate to Wake For Warriors?
Veteran participants can sign up at wakeforwarriors.org. If someone is interested in hosting an event or volunteering they can send us a message on the website, via Facebook or Instagram. Tax deductible donations can be made on wakeforwarriors.org
2018 Wake For Warriors Schedule
Apr 27-30, 2018
Lake Olympia, Florida 34761, USA
May 3-6, 2018
Lake Austin, Texas, USA
Wake For Warriors Partners with Get Wet With a Vet and One More Wave
May 17-20, 2018
Navy Recreation Facility Lake Allatoona with MarineMax Atlanta
Jun 7-10, 2018
Deep Creek Lake, Maryland, Hosted by: Bill’s Marine Service.
Jun 20 - 25, 2018
Lake Harding, GA
In partnership with Team Semper Fi.
Jun 27 - 29, 2018
Lake Norman, North Carolina
In partnership with Pass The Handle
Jul 18 - 22, 2018
Lake Minnetonka, MN
Wake For Warriors teams up with MarineMax on Lake Minnetonka, Wiggle Your Toes and the Minnesota Wakesurf Championship
Jul 26 - 29, 2018
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Aug 16 - 19, 2018
Table Rock Lake, MO
The Team at MarineMax will host their first Wake for Warriors event on Table Rock Lake
Aug 23 - 26, 2018
Lake Harding, GA
In partnership with the EOD Warrior Foundation
Sep 12 - 13, 2018
San Vicente Reservoir, 13500 Moreno Ave, Lakeside, CA 92040, USA
Wake For Warriors heads west to shred with M2O Marine
Share a photo of your Nautique waiting patiently for summer! It could be in the driveway, garage, in storage or wherever you keep your Nautique safe during the winter months. We’ll be highlighting a few of our favorites and choosing the best #MyNautiqueGarage as the winner of an Apple Watch. To enter, simply upload your image to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using the #MyNautiqueGarage hashtag.
NAUTIQUE BOATS SOCIAL MEDIA CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. ENTRY: No purchase necessary to enter or win. Contestants will enter by submitting photos via Nautique Boats Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts via hashtag #MyNautiqueGarage. Entries not visible due to user privacy settings will be void.
2. ELIGIBILITY: This contest is open only to legal U.S. residents and Canada, over the age of 18. Employees of Nautique Boat Company, Inc. (Nautique),along with its contractors, affiliates and subsidiaries and their families are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. Contestants residing in those areas where the contest is void may participate in the contest but may not win any prizes.
3. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Nautique located at 14700 Aerospace Parkway, Orlando, FL 32832 USA
4. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrants full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon being compliant with these Official Rules and fulfilling all other requirements set forth herein.
5. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins on February 1, 2018 at 8:00AM CT and ends on March 5, 2018 at 11:59 PM CT (the Contest Period). Entries that are submitted before or after the Contest Period will be disqualified. Submissions will be accepted for the duration of the Contest using any of the following methods: Photo uploaded to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the #MyNautiqueGarage hashtag.
6. ENTRY LIMIT
Limit one (1) entry per person per voting period, per email address, and per household for the duration of the Contest Period, regardless of method of entry. Entries received from any person, e-mail address, or household in excess of the stated limitation will be void. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
7. WINNER SELECTION: Submissions will be judged by employees of Nautique.
8 PRIZES: Winners will receive an Apple Watch – Series 1 – 42mm – Black (approximate retail value $249), that is non-transferable or exchangeable. Prize to be delivered in 2-4 weeks after the final date of entry. Odds of winning dependent upon the number of entries submitted.
9. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winner will be contacted via email, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Winners will be notified within 3 days after the determination date. Nautique will make two (2) attempts to contact the winner. If unsuccessful, the winner will forfeit the prize and it will be awarded to the next runner-up. All prizes will be awarded. Winner will be announced via Nautique Boats Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS:
A. Participants hereby grant Nautique a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the Submission (along with their names, voices, performance and/or likenesses) in all media now known and later come into being for purposes of trade or advertising without further compensation. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant Nautique the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured all necessary rights from any participants in, and contributors to, their Submission in order to grant such a license.
B. Nautique is under no obligation to use any Submission or return the Submissions to participants.
11. USE OF CONTEST INFORMATION: All entries become the property of Nautique. Nautique reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including submissions provided by the contestants, for editorial, marketing and any other purpose, unless prohibited by law. By entering, users opt into any email marketing by Nautique.
12. NOT ENDORSED BY FACEBOOK: By participating in this contest, you acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook and release Facebook from any and all liability arising from or related to this contest. The information you are providing for this contest is being provided to Nautique and not to Facebook, and will be used to notify you if you have won, and to inform you about special offers from Nautique and our trusted partners.
13. CONDUCT: All contest participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Nautique in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering with the entry process, the operation of its web site or is otherwise in violation of these rules.
14. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Nautique is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected email or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, Nautique may cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Entrants further agree to release Nautique from any liability resulting from, or related to participation in the contest.
15. PRIVACY SETTINGS: Nautique is not responsible for the collection of entries lost and/or not visible due to user privacy settings.
As we enter into the boat show season, you are likely doing your research on what to look for in your next watersports boat. While putting your ducks in a row and getting prepped to see what the different manufacturers have to offer, here’s a handful of helpful questions to ask while shopping around. The 2018 model year is bringing more features to the table than ever before, so we wanted to give you a little knowledge on what matters most.
How is the hull constructed? Quality starts from the ground up, and hull construction is the foundation of a high-grade boat. Ask questions on how the manufacturer incorporates the stringers, flooring and internal ballast into the hull construction. Familiarizing yourself with how a high-quality boat is built will help you separate the brands that “get it done right” from those that simply “get it done”.
What are the benefits of an inboard boat? With a vast amount of new technology out there, it’s important to learn exactly why inboards continue to be the number one choice of the serious watersports user. Familiarize yourself with the benefits of an inboard over anything else on the market.
What engine options are available? Knowing the engine options for the boat model you’re interested in is an extremely important element. Do your research on how engines perform in different models and come knowing which engine best suits your needs.
Do I need any additional ballast? While some boat manufactures may boast a great wave or wake, knowing how it got there is just as important. You don’t want to spend all day filling up aftermarket ballast or putting lead in storage compartments, so find out which models perform the best with factory ballast.
What is the warranty like? Let’s face it, if something were to go wrong then you want to make sure it’s covered. Peace of mind knowing the manufacturer stands by their product and will fix any potential issues is a major benefit.
How much storage is there? While it’s not always the most exciting feature in a boat, having room for all your gear should definitely be a factor in your buying decision. Storage that is easy to access and has plenty of space will make those long summer days that much more enjoyable.
What are the different stereo options? Everybody wants a great sounding stereo when you’re having fun on the lake, so be sure to research the sound system and how it’s incorporated into the design of the model you’re looking at.
How user-friendly and comfortable is the helm? As the boat owner, you’ll probably spend the majority of your time in the helm seat, so be sure that the boat you choose has the best driving experience available. Intuitive displays, comfortable seating and ergonomic controls should all play a factor in your buying decision.
What sports is the boat best for? You should be matching up your favorite activities with the model you’re interested in. If you do a little of everything, then visit a multi-sport line like GS-Series. Concentrating on wakeboarding or wakesurfing? Check out a boat like a G23 or G25, that specializes in those areas.
What kind of accolades does this boat have? The most popular models in the marketplace are usually that way for a reason. Find out what awards or major events the model you’re looking at has under its belt for some real-world validation.
How are the seats constructed? Something to keep in mind is how well your interior will hold up over time. What’s inside the vinyl is just as important as the vinyl itself, so pay attention to what types of foam are being used. This not only makes your boat more comfortable, but much more durable over the course of years of summertime use.
Nautique Boat Company and the World Wakeboard Association are proud to announce the dates and locations for the 2018 Nautique Wake Series. Pulled exclusively by the award-winning Super Air Nautique G23, the series is expanding this upcoming season to include 5 stops all across the globe.
Dedicated to progressing the sport from the ground up, the Nautique Wake Series puts riders first, developing the stars of tomorrow and showcasing the top athletes of today with every major event held behind the Super Air Nautique G23. The Nautique Wake Series is the only event series that gives riders of all ages, gender and skill level the opportunity to compete at an elite level. The world’s top professional athletes continue to return to this series as a career-defining platform to showcase progression and define themselves as the sport’s elite. A dedication to rider development and a family-friendly environment has made the Nautique Wake Series home to athletes competing in all WWA professional and amateur divisions, continuing a tradition that puts riders first. The line-up for the 2018 season will include the most most legendary events in watersports. The
Nautique Wake Series and WWA WBWS will start off the season at the world’s most spectated watersports event, the Nautique Moomba Masters in Melbourne, Australia. Stop two lands in the beautiful tropical paradise of Cancun, Mexico for the Nautique Wake Open. Stop three will see the Nautique Wake Series and WWA WBWS include the Nautique Masters Waterski & Wakeboard Tournament held each year at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA for the first time ever, combining the world’s most prestigious event with the world’s elite wake series. Riders will have the opportunity to battle it out for a Masters invitation at the Nautique Masters Wakeboard LCQ held in Orlando, Florida. Stop four will arrive on the west coast in Monroe, WA for the Nautique WWA Wakeboard National Championships presented by Rockstar Energy. The fifth and final stop will take us to Miyoshi City, Japan for the Nautique WWA Wakeboard World Championships.
Stop #1: Nautique Moomba Masters
March 7th-12th in Melbourne, Australia (WWA-WBWS)
Stop #2: Nautique Wake Open
April 19th-21st in Cancun, Mexico (WWA-WBWS)
**Nautique Masters Wakeboard LCQ**
April 28th in Orlando, Florida (WWA-WBWS)
Stop #3: Nautique Masters Water Ski & Wakeboard Tournament
May 25th-27th in Pine Mountain, Georgia (WWA-WBWS)
Stop #4: Nautique WWA U.S. Wakeboard National Championships
July 25th-28th in Monroe, Washington (WWA-WBWS)
Stop #5: Nautique WWA Wakeboard World Championships
August 30th-September 2nd in Miyoshi City, Japan (WWA-WBWS)
Updated for 2018, check out the Nautique Strapless Board Racks. The new over-molded design provides even more protection for your boards from dents and dings, and still gives you the ease-of-use and functionality you know from the best board racks on the market.